Thursday, July 13, 2017

Ocean's Two.

"You were in the movie Fargo" I said to the clerk, a short ginger man on the backside of middle age.  Damned if he didn't look like that actor fellow.

"Nar" said the clerk.  "I always been here.  We all always been here."  I didn't quite understand that last part, like he thought this was a dream or something.

But it was about to get very real, real fast.

Clarence pulled his stuff and wanted to do a Sam Peckinpah on the little fellow, several plugs to the chest.  I kept cool, just kind of playing off of Clarence.

The little man went crazy as the back door walloped.  Someone was coming.

"SHE'LL KILL YOU ALL!!!" said the short fellow.  The William H. Macy of a store clerk.

Clarence was running wild, f*cking-up sh*t.  Knocking stuff off shelves, and sometimes entire shelves put over into the floor.

And there she was.

Sex and attitude.  Black leather.  High-heel boots.  Big scatter gun.  Librarian glasses.  The glasses had a chipper yellow Tweety bird in each of the furthermost corners, Tweety from the Looney Tunes.

"This one is mine" I said.  Suddenly, I felt like a big, mean, old puddy-tat.

She cleaned-up on us, catching me a glancing blow with the scatter gun, but surprising Clarence around one of the aisles.

I unloaded and didn't land one shot.  I knew, now unloaded, I would get my ass handed to me.

She seemed satisfied, having made us look silly.  And the back door walloped again, then the little store got quiet.  I went to Clarence.  He was in a bad way, hurt bad.

"I'll remember you to Jules and the girls" I said.  And he died.  Or I guess he died, because he got real still then I walked away, back to the front.

No comments:

Post a Comment